My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Graduated from UBC with a BA. I am currently employed as a library assistant at Irving K. Barber learning centre. I hope one day to be a tried and true librarian.

Friday, December 15, 2006

First post of the New Blog

Well, a lot has happened since February 2nd of 2006, which was the date of my last Blog update. There are several reasons why I have come back to start blogging again, and with a clean slate:

Firstly, and probably most importantly, I graduated from university and also got a job in a library. The job is fun, relaxing and pays very well. However, sometimes it's rather slow, and this is something I could do while on the job.

Secondly, I decided I would definately make a push for grad school. I really would like to either stay at UBC (less likely), or attend university at the University of Western Ontario in London, (not UK, OK?). I think it would be interesting to document my progress through the application phase.

Thirdly, I finally have something to write about. More accurately, I not only have more to write about and also reasons to write. Not only is school coming up, but I also feel other goals and happenings would be important to transcribe.

Also, I am in a blog pissing contest with Jessica as of now.

So ok,
first post.

My dad is getting married tomorrow, and I am to be his best man. It is a very religious ceremony and I will be his best man and as a result have to lead the procession in prayer. Seeing as I have been in a catholic church a total of one time before this, and every other time I had ever been in church the sermon was delivered in Greek, I really don't know what to expect and am really, really nervous.

I really think its a beautiful thing that my dad finally found happiness with a woman who will treat him well, and more importantly has at least the slightest thing in common with him.

I just feel like it's important that this be a special occasion for him, and I have a feeling I might mess the whole thing up. I have to deliver two psalms and a letter from some apostle to the Corinthians. I don't even know the apostles name off by memory!

All the passages are really sweet, and I only hope I can get the memorized in 12 hours. :X

Here they are!

A reading from Paul to the Corinthians.

Strive for the greater fifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knoweldge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient: love is kind: love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way: it is not irritable or resentful: it does not rejoice in wrondoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends.

The word of the Lord.

Responsorial Psalm

Refrain: The Lord fills the earth with His love.

They are happy, whose God is the Lord, the people he has chosen as his own.
The lord looks on those that revere him, on those who hope in his love.

Our soul is waiting for the Lord.
The Lord is our help and shield.
In him do our hearts find joy.
We trust in his holy name.

May your love be upon us, O Lord.
As we place all our hope in you.

General Intercessions:

The response to the prayer is: Lord, hear our prayer.

That every day grows of their lives, Nim and Tom may renew their desire to grow in love for each other and the gift they make today of their very selves: let use pray.

For all who are married in the Lord, that God will help them grow in love and sustain them in their efforts to give of themselves to others: let us pray.

For God's holy people, that through this celebration we all may grow in our desire to serve and love the world: let us pray.

For the world, that in its hunger for love it may turn to Christ and acknowledge him as Lord: let us pray.

For our community, for ourselves and for each other, that we may accept the challenge placed before us today, and make love a way of life: let us pray.

And that's that...


On a more personal note. I finally have the time, and maybe the drive necessary to fix my self. Those of you who know me well, know that I am injury prone and perpetually ill whether it be one thing or another. Well, after moving in with Christine I gained 20 pounds in about 2 years... Well that's not too, too bad considering what was being fed me. However, when I broke my arm and went in for foot surgery last summer, I became dreadfully lethargic, and gained over 40 more pounds.

So here is the deal, Blog. I am going to go from the current 280 pounds I am now, (just weighed) and get back to the 215 I was before I moved in with Christine.

That is 65 pounds to lose. I don't really have a set time frame, but I would like to report in at least once every two days to see how I am doing with the loss.

It seems pretty pathetic to do it this way, but I have a pretty bad memory, and I must constantly remind myself that I used to be a rugby playing, arm wrestling, pec flexing beast, and I would like to be that way again.

Rawr!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

so i don't like blogger cause i couldn't comment without creating an account :P


all i wanted to say was:

oh dear lord, dennis flexing his pecs is not something the world was meant to see!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home